The state and war flag is a horizontal tricolor of red, yellow, and green with the Bolivian coat of arms in the center with a size of 3×5. The Bolivian flag adopted on July 25, 1826, had horizontal stripes of yellow-red-green with a coat of arms in the center. On November 5, 1851, the order of the stripes was changed to red-yellow-green, perhaps to increase its distinctiveness when seen at a distance. Over the years different versions of the coat of arms were introduced, and in the late 1830s, Bolivia was temporarily united with Peru under a red flag with the confederation arms in the center. The current flag law dates from July 14, 1888. The coat of arms has subsequently been modified unofficially by the addition of a 10th star. The 9 stars previously in use referred to the Bolivian departments; the 10th star symbolizes the valuable territory.